Last Updated on July 25, 2022
Air hockey is a fantastic game that you can enjoy with your friends or family. However, choosing the right air hockey table can be a challenge.
When you plan to get an air hockey, there are quite a few things that you need to put under consideration before buying one. You need to look for the right size, material type, features, airflow, motor power, etc. And this can indeed be a challenge, especially if you are buying this table for the first time.
So, to ease your path through, our experts have shortlisted the top 5 air hockey tables for the money. Therefore, read this entire article to cast away all your confusion and grab the best deal.
- 1 How Does an Air Hockey Table Work?
- 2 How Big is a Full-Sized Air Hockey Table?
- 3 Buying Tips:
- 4 Top 5 Air Hockey air hockey table reviews
- 4.1 MD Sports Air Hockey Table (Best Overall)
- 4.2 2. Triumph Fire ‘n Ice Air Hockey Table (Best for Young Players)
- 4.3 3. ESPN Sports Air Hockey Indoor Game Table (Best for Quality)
- 4.4 4. American Legend Kirkwood Air Powered Hockey Table (Best Rustic Design)
- 4.5 5. Sport Squad HX40 Table Top Air Hockey Table (Best for Portability)
- 5 Buying Guide: Best Air Hockey Tables 2022
- 6 FAQs about Air Hockey Tables
- 7 Bottom Line
How Does an Air Hockey Table Work?
An air hockey table is designed to have a smooth surface with sleek textures. Usually, the surface and the tables are made of plastic, and there are also small holes that are evenly distributed throughout the table surface.
For that reason, the table surface has very low friction, and underneath the air hockey table, there is also an attached fan that blows air through these holes. As a result, the puck floats, making the game even more enjoyable. Moreover, the table edges are also designed so that the air puck doesn’t fall outside.
So, you can say that the air hockey table’s key features are the smooth texture and the continuous airflow coming out of the table holes. This mechanism is why players can play air hockey on this table.
How Big is a Full-Sized Air Hockey Table?
Air hockey tables come in various sizes, and you can choose according to your needs. The table needs to be large enough for the puck and player to move around. Typically, an air hockey table starts from 4 feet in length.
A 4 feet air hockey table is suitable for younger children and their families to play along. Moreover, this particular size table is also very affordable. Players are divided by arm length at this size, although it may be a challenge, especially for adults.
The next size you can get is the 5 feet table, this is far more suitable for children who are a bit older, and even the adults can enjoy some quality time. These size tables also come with commercial standards and even have features like scoring gantries and SAM Baby.
The most popular size for an air hockey table is 6 feet. This size is perfect for older children as well as for adults. And the biggest air hockey table for home is considered to be 7 feet long, which allows games for doubles since it has plenty of room and is also an ideal table for enthusiastic adults.
The official size of the air hockey table is 8 feet, and as the table has a huge space, players can step up their game at full throttle.
Moreover, players can use this extra space for tactical shooting and quickly proceed with their gameplay without worrying about slipping or losing stability. In short, it’s an ideal size for playing doubles with your friends and families.
- First, decide how big you want your air hockey table to be. You can consider your room size and decide on a suitable air hockey table.
- Also, make sure that your table comes with all of the necessary accessories, such as pushers, pucks, and paddles.
- Always ask the seller whether the table is conversion top or multiplayer.
- Check whether you selected all the accessories with your desired air hockey table.
- Ask the seller if the table has a warranty or not. If yes, make sure that the warranty documents are correct.
- The table should be easy to set up and durable.
- Pay attention to the weight of the table and the size you chose.
Top 5 Air Hockey air hockey table reviews
MD Sports Air Hockey Table (Best Overall)
#1 Strength: It’s durable because of the wood and plastic material used for it
#1 Weakness: Lightweight weighing 92.4 pounds
- Brand: MD Sports
- Color: White, Black, Gray
- Material: Wood and Plastic
- Dimension: 84 x 42 x 32 inches
- Product Weight: 92.4 pounds
- The large 84” frame provides fun playing surface area.
- It comes with a 90-days manufacturer warranty.
- Premium blower motor for consistent airflow.
- It has got an oversized leg leveler for balance.
- Lightweight plastic base and frame material.
- Available in multiple colors.
- It comes with all the accessories needed, so there is no need to purchase other materials.
- It has electronic scoring capabilities.
This air hockey table is an electrical air-powered hockey table that is ideal and suitable for a game room or a basement. The 120V motor provides a smooth, steady, and consistent airflow, and the UV-coated playfield allows the puck to move smoothly through the table.
The leg levelers and the leg supports on this table allow the table to remain steady even during intense games between players. The electronic scoring capabilities on this table allow for a more competitive match that keeps both the players focused on the game while keeping up with the opponent’s scores to avoid losing track of the game.
The arcade game sound effects built-in this table is a bonus that allows the players to feel like they are present in the arcade and playing there but with all the benefits of being right at home.
The tabletop on this table has a glossy finish with colorful graphics that makes it more fun to play on, and the UV-coated playfield is an attractive yet functional feature that allows the puck to glide smoother.
Preparing For Delivery
1. Make sure all the parts are there during packaging.
2. Ensure the packaging is secure.
Pros And Cons
- Larger playing field
- Available in multiple colors
- Attractive graphics and UV-coated playfield
- Premium quality sound effects and electronic scoring capabilities
- Made of plastic so prone to cracks.
- The table is comparatively heavy.
How It Compares
The MD Sports Air Powered Hockey Table has a larger playfield dimension at 84x42x32 inches, while the Hall of Games Air Powered Hockey Table has dimensions of 66x34x32 inches.
It’s also a pretty lightweight table weighing 92.4 pounds and made from a plastic material. At the same time, the Hall of Games Air Powered Hockey Table weighs significantly more at 99 pounds with engineered wood, plastic, and metal-built materials.
Unlike the Hall of Games Air Powered Hockey Table’s bland and less visually attractive playfield, the MD Sports Air Powered Hockey Table has a more interesting and colorful playfield and a UV coat and graphics.
This is a 2018 model and has been consistently used widely. The Hall of Game Air Powered Hockey Table is a newer released model that may still require some modifications.
1. Hall of Games Air Powered Hockey Table: This product can be an ideal choice for its attractive features and even gives the players the best gaming experience compared to the price.
2. Triumph Fire ‘n Ice Air Hockey Table (Best for Young Players)
#1 Strength: Perfect fit for dark basements
#1 Weakness: Heavy for teenagers
- Brand: Triumph Sports
- Color: Blue-Black
- Dimension: 54 x 27 x 31 inches
- Product Weight: 39.6 pounds
- Package Weight: 21.12 kilograms
- It has a light-up feature.
- Colorful LED and graphics light-up the corners.
- LED electronic and abacus scoring.
- 4 cross-legged braces for additional stability.
- Appropriate for dark or dimmed areas.
The main selling feature of this air hockey table is it’s suitable for areas that are not as well lit as other areas of the house, such as the basement.
The red side of the table is the FIRE team, and the blue side of the table is the ICE team. The LED lights on the table light up each time a goal has been scored, giving the players the lavishing taste of victory.
The large 54 x 27 x 31 inches playing surface field allows for a smooth and immersive gaming session. This specific table model is perfect for the youth and teenagers as beginner-level air hockey players.
The electronic scoring bar on the table allows the opponent to record your scores and level up their game. The four cross-legged braces on the table ensure maximum stability even through the toughest gaming sessions and still maintain stability.
Preparing for Delivery
1. Make sure all the parts are available.
2. Check thoroughly to prevent any future complications.
Pros And Cons
- Larger surface playfield
- Perfect for dark areas or basements
- Allows 2 teams to play (FIRE vs ICE)
- Colorful graphics and LED corners
- Flashes lights when goals are scored
- It’s pretty heavy
- Only applicable for kids
How It Compares
The Triumph Fire ‘n Ice Air Hockey Table has a dimension of 54 x 27 x 31 inches. At the same time, the 48″ Mid-Size NHL Rush Indoor Hover has a dimension of 48 x 24 x 30 inches.
The Triumph Fire ‘n Ice Air Hockey Table is a tried and tested table used since 2016, unlike the 48” Mid-Size NHL Rush, which made its debut in 2020.
The Triumph Fire ‘n Ice Air Hockey Table has a significantly heavier package weighing 21.12 kilograms, while The 48” Mid-Size NHL Rush weighs in at just 14.83 kilograms.
1. Mid-Size NHL Rush Indoor Hover Hockey Game Table: The table is ideal for both young and adults. It even offers the best space diversity for players to move around and play.
3. ESPN Sports Air Hockey Indoor Game Table (Best for Quality)
#1 Strength: Very familiar size for using a small gaming room
#1 Weakness: Price is high
- Brand: ESPN
- Material: Composite & Plastic
- Color: Multi
- Weight: 141 Pounds
- Item Dimensions (LxWxH): 84 x 48 x 32 inches
- Size: 84 inches
- Style: LED 7 Foot Overhead Scorer
- Including Components: Air hockey table, 4 pushers, 4 pucks
- Air-powered hockey table with a high-quality playing surface.
- With its premium blower fan, the puck slides on the surface quickly and easily.
- Magnetic playfield with a glossy finish.
- Anyone can play for its special design.
- Both sides of the scorer’s overhead have cup holders.
With ESPN being the leading sports covering network, it is to be expected that their Air Hockey to be just as good as their broadcasting network.
This 84” table has a premium playing surface with real airflow and a 3\4” thick glossy playing surface that ensures a faster and smoother puck glide thanks to the 120V motor even air flower.
The LED Electronic Scoring System is an exciting part of this table. The arcade sound effect and the loud cheer is sure to boost up the confidence of anyone playing, and the bright LED scoring system provides the feeling of being present in an authentic stadium.
The sturdy leg constructive caps provide safety and security when moving from one room to the other. It ensures that nobody gets hurt or the walls around don’t get chipped while giving this board a modern and sleek look.
The 1\2” thick leg support and 6” leg levelers with strengthened playfield and the top rail on the table provide additional stability. Any game without a cold beverage within arm’s reach would be incomplete. This is why this table also comes with a built-in cup holder on each side of the overhead of the scorer.
Lastly, there will be no issue with the storage of the accessories with this table because the built-in pocket storage allows everything to be secure and tucked away when not in use.
Preparing For Delivery
1. Make sure you get all the parts of the product properly.
2. Check thoroughly if any part of the product is broken or cracked.
Pros and Cons
- Very convenient for family use
- Different styles and sizes are available
- Very adjustable for your small gaming room
- Good quality and design
- Electronic LED scorekeeper with arcade sound effects and game timer
- The table has got sharp corners
- The price is high
How it compares
The ESPN Air Hockey is a bit more expensive and larger, being at 84 x 48 x 32 inches, while the Rack Crucis is cheaper, and the dimensions are 66 x 36 x 31 inches.
While the ESPN Air Hockey comes with corner caps, an LED scoring system, and built-in cup holders, the Rack Crucis is a 3-in-1 table made of resin and felt surface with rubber bumpers and is foldable for compact storage.
Moreover, ESPN Air Hockey is available in multi-color, while Rack Crucis is only available in blue color. In short, if a real-life at-home arcade gaming session is what you want, ESPN Air Hockey is the way to go for you.
1. Rack Crucis 5.5-Foot Folding: This table can give you a real-life feel of the game and enhance the overall gaming arcade gaming experience. Moreover, the color of the table also adds a special note to your overall game.
4. American Legend Kirkwood Air Powered Hockey Table (Best Rustic Design)
#1 Strength: Made of wood and is durable
#1 Weakness: Not multipurpose
- Brand Name: American Legend
- Model Name: Kirkwood 84″ Air Hockey Table
- Color: Brown
- Material: Wood
- Weight: 88.9 Kilograms
- Package Dimensions (LxWxH): 88 x 51 x 8.5 inches
- The rustic wood finish with the K-shaped legs makes any room nicer.
- It has electronic scoring features in-game sound effects and keeps track of goals.
- Strong airflow provided by the 110V 60Hz.
The American Legend Kirkwood with the K-shaped legs and wooden finish provides a rustic feeling with a modern edge to the room you place it in.
The large dimensional (84 x 48 x 32)” arcade-style air hockey with the impressively powerful 110V 60Hz motor air blower provides a very smooth, fast-paced, and competitive game while being at home in your comfort zone.
The built-in sound effect provides the feeling of having a crowd around. At the same time, the electronic scores are being tracked and displayed for convenience and promoting competitive boost and excitement to the players.
This table’s 110V and 60Hz motor blower assure the players with a very consistent and smooth airflow for the puck to glide over with ease and a very fast-paced game with all the hype of being at the arcade.
The setup for this table is also made much more convenient with the built-in control panel for an easy and mess-free setup.
Preparing for Delivery
1. Make sure you get all the parts of the product properly secured.
2. Ensure the motor blower has a consistent flow.
Pros and Cons
- It gives the room a nice rustic feeling
- Large dimensions ensure an arcade-like feeling at home
- Smooth, consistent, and powerful airflow for the 110V 60Hz motor
- Sound effects and electronic score tracked for maximum competitiveness.
- It weighs a lot at 88.9 kilogram
- Not multipurpose
How It Compares
The American Legend Kirkwood is an aesthetically and visually pleasing table. The unique wood textures on the table and the K-shaped legs provide for a visual appeal and give the room an extra bit of rustic feeling. While the PUCK Cyclone seems a little bland and provides minimum visual appeal.
The American Legend Kirkwood weighs 88.9 kilograms, while the PUCK Cyclone weighs around 72 kilograms.
The last bit of difference between the two tables is that The American Legend Kirkwood comes with multiple additions to the table, such as the sound system and the electronic score tracks that give the player the arcade-like feeling at home PUCK Cyclone comes with none.
1. PUCK Cyclone 6-Foot 3-in-1 Multi Game: This table is the best option for an arcade-like feel and even adds an essence of professionalism whenever you play on this air hockey table.
5. Sport Squad HX40 Table Top Air Hockey Table (Best for Portability)
#1 Strength: Goal boxes with convenient puck return.
#1 Weakness: Plastic base material.
- Brand Name: JOOLA
- Model: HX40 Table Top Air Hockey Table
- Color: Original
- Material: Engineered Wood
- Weight: 10.7 Pounds
- Product Dimensions (LxWxH): 40 x 20 x 5 inches
- Size: One Size
- Including Component: Main Product
- Designed for kids and adults.
- Easy assembly.
- High output fan.
This air hockey table is an incredibly lightweight and fun game table for kids and adults of all ages. Despite being made of engineered wood, this table weighs incredibly less at 10.7 pounds only.
The AC-12V motor is a high output and quiet motor that provides consistent, smooth, and frictionless air flow for maximum enjoyment.
This is one of those games that undoubtedly brings the family together for a fun night of gaming and entertainment. The MDF or medium-density fiberboard material used for the table makes sure it stays in place and remains sturdy even with the most hyped-up players.
This table’s easy and compact storage makes it safe for kids to use it without adult supervision. In comparison, the easy assembly for the tables enables the kids to assemble them themselves whenever they want.
Preparing for Delivery
1. Make sure you get all the parts of the product properly.
2. Secure the packaging neatly.
Pros and Cons
- Incredibly lightweight
- Easy assemble
- Compact storage
- Powerful motor
- It brings the squad together for a fun time
- As it is lightweight, there may be a chance for it to break or crack
- The plastic base material is not durable
How It Compares
The Sport Squad HX40 Air Hockey Table is very lightweight, weighing 10.7 pounds, while the Best Choice Products 40in Portable Air Hockey Table weighs 19 pounds.
The Sport Squad HX40 Air Hockey Table consists of plastic legs and MDF or medium-density fiberboard. While the Best Choice Products Air Hockey Arcade Table is made of plastic and less likely to be durable.
The Sport Squad HX40 Air Hockey Table has a larger playing surface dimension at 42.2 x 23.2 x 4.3 inches, giving a more realistic gaming experience than the Best Choice Products Air Hockey Arcade Table with a smaller playing surface dimension at 40 x 20 x 8.5 inches.
1. Best Choice Products 40in Portable Tabletop: If you want the best realistic feel of an air hockey game, this table can be your best choice. Moreover, it’s also pretty durable and can withstand your intense rough games.
Buying Guide: Best Air Hockey Tables 2022
There are different sizes available for air hockey tables, so it may be useful to have an ideal space before buying one. Usually, the perfect-sized tables are around 84 inches in length and 48 inches in width.
According to this measurement, you can choose a 12 x 8 feet room minimum. However, you need to know that it’s sufficient space for the table to fit and enough space for each player to stand.
Airflow is a significant element of an air hockey table. Indeed, you are looking for something that gets you a strong and rigid airflow over the whole surface, as it will assure the pucks can freely move and help to enjoy the game for both sides. However, you can choose high-quality airflow systems or models with a 100- volt fan motor.
There are so many features that an ideal air hockey table can offer. For instance, an electronic scoreboard, LED light, motor fan, and music system.
However, you need a robust power-generating system to enjoy all these features. You can find two categories of power source systems: the battery and the other is electrical plugs. However, we suggest electrical plugs as they are more convenient.
As you guessed, another most essential thing to consider before choosing an air hockey table is the motor fan underneath. More expensive models have better motors and airflow.
Powerful and consistent airflow is very important for an aesthetic gaming experience. The more evenly air is distributed, the more smoothly pucks move.
Materials and Durability
Air hockey tables are usually made from wood, plastic, or metal. Each material can be used in different construction parts as needed. The table’s playing surface is generally stainless steel or laminated plastic.
Stainless steel is the most common material for playing surfaces. The frame and walls are made from laminated plastic or high-density nylon or aluminum, and the table legs are made from solid wood for strong beams. Generally, the more expensive air hockey tables are built with better materials.
However, the table’s longevity depends on the material used to make it. The expensive air hockey table surface does not get damaged easily and can easily withstand wear and tear.
Although it’s true no matter how durable an air hockey table is, it’ll slowly lose its smoothness. A good quality table can last 5-8 years or more if you maintain it properly.
The electronic scorer is fun, as it adds an extra sense of thrill to every shot. However, they are not reliable in the cheaper models as you may expect. So you better go for a bit expensive ones if you are looking for an authentic feel of this feature.
It depends on what kind of air hockey tables you want to buy. If you want to carry them to parties, picnics, tours, or family gatherings, you must consider a lightweight, easy-to-carry air hockey table. However, if you want to have a big air hockey table, it would be challenging to carry it. So, choose your air hockey table wisely.
Another important element while buying an air hockey table is leg levers. They are used to level the surface of the table for consistent play. If the surface is not level, the air hockey table may not have proper stability.
Large Puck vs Small Puck
If you are an adult and looking for professional quality, you should choose a large puck and have a large table to have a better playing experience. Large pucks are usually more expensive but have great airflow and are well designed for rough playing and daily use.
If it is for children, then go for the small ones. Small pucks are less expensive and have weaker airflow, but small pucks are comparatively lightweight, and it would be more convenient for kids.
FAQs about Air Hockey Tables
How to Clean an Air Hockey Table?
First, turn on the fan or blower so that no dust, no dirt, or liquid go into the air holes. Clean the surface with a vacuum cleaner and clean the table surface using a microfiber cloth while the fan is still running.
Then clean it with a slightly damped microfiber cloth and clean the holes. You have to pay extra attention to this part. You can use toothpicks, cotton swabs, or pipe cleaners.
Make sure the fan is on while cleaning. This will help to clean the air holes. If playing is a little slow, you should consider sanding the pucks and mallets. You can use fine sandpaper to sand down the pucks to make them smooth.
How Long Does an Air Hockey Table Last?
An air hockey table may last 5-8 years. But it depends on how you maintain and the quality of the material. If you take proper care, an air hockey table may last a very long time.
For proper maintenance, always be careful with the surface area. Use a microfiber cloth to clean. Also, choose an air hockey table with good materials. Consider tables made of nylon or aluminum.
How Do Air Hockey Pucks Float?
Air hockey pucks float by powerful airflow through the air hockey table. The air pump produces the air current underneath the air hockey table. The puck levitates on the table as the powerful air comes underneath the table through the air holes.
After this article, you can now choose the best air hockey table to get the most out of your air hockey games. However, we recommend you consult with the seller first before taking any air hockey table. If you have any queries to make, never hesitate and ask whatever you want to know regarding the air hockey table you choose to buy.